Tuesday, August 18, 2009

summertime....

It is truly summer when we have BLT's for dinner. This is the first true garden BLT of our summer. Tomatoes have been scarce due to blight this year. We still have plenty of lettuce but I picked up my CSA share today and received a bag of Arugula, yes Arugula. Bliss on a BLT, oh do I love arugula! Believe me when I say this has been a savored meal. Who knows how many BLT's we will have this summer, hopefully many more! And the cucumber salad, it reminds me of my Grandma Deike. who always had Cucumber Salad in the summer, I will include the recipe. Every summer we would go to the Duck Lake cabin, no scratch that, every chance we got we would go to Grandma Deike's cabin. So many memories, so many memories. Cucumber Salad is just one of them...

My meal of weakness. BLT, Cucumber Salad and of course Potato Chips. I say over and over I would probably be a vegetarian if it weren't for bacon, and mostly this dinner! Did I mention weakness?! I have a follower...

Kyra definitely gets a badge for the "Clean Plate Club" tonight!
And what would summer be without a plate of tomatoes to just to have!!!
Is it possible to be nostalgic for summer already?!
Cucumber Salad
4 cups Cucumbers sliced thin
3 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
fresh ground pepper to taste
Toss sliced cucumbers and salt in colander, let strain for 30 to 60 minutes.
In small bowl mix remaining ingredients.
Combine cucumbers and sour cream mix and serve.

1 comment:

Devotions for Moms said...

Ohhh, you don't peel the cucumbers...I do. Also, I just use cream and mayo. I'm going to try your recipe tonight (w/out dill).