Friday, September 18, 2009

No More Plastic Bags!

It has been one week since school started. Besides trying to figure out our new schedule I am trying to figure out how to have less waste when it comes to lunch. I finally broke down and bought Sewing Green by Betz White. I had been admiring it for a while and decided that I should just add it to my budget. Anyway, she has a reusable sandwich wrap pattern in the book. I got to thinking and why not find a solution for baggies too. This is my solution...



For the wraps she used a PUL material, polyurethane lined fabric. I do not have any on hand so I lined it with nylon instead. As long as it does not get hot I'm pretty sure this is fine. I used Velcro for the closure. I thought this would be easiest for little hands to open.


Kyra loves them! I made one that she took to school yesterday, when she came home I had the other three to show her. "You made more mommy!"
When sewing I zig zagged around the outside wanting to keep the food as fresh as possible. I hope the nylon will help with this too. I tried one (below) with hemmed edges for a neater look and maybe less thread was used, but it took a lot longer. Plus I liked the others anyway.

The best part is they can go right in the wash! This was a fun and quick project. Besides being environmentally friendly they are economical. Which is always a plus in our home. I may have to make some for my friends!
We are pretty conscious about our plastic bag use, but I would still like to come up with a more Eco friendly way to freeze certain foods.

2 comments:

Aunt Maryann said...

NO MORE PLASTIC BAGS !! Sounds like a line from a movie :) Actually, you amaze me more and more. The bags are awesome and it sounds like Kyra loves them too!! I wonder if Kyra and the others in her class know just what a great thing that's being done for their earth? You are such a cool Mom.....Rock ON!!!!

ourhometoyours said...

Thank you Maryann!