Thursday, September 24, 2009

It's an Honor

Although I started this blog a few months ago I decided recently to share it with more of my friends and others on my e-mail list. Thank you to those of you who have visited! But, it is really an honor to receive first a phone call from a friend wanting her own reusable baggies (we made a trade deal!) Thanks Laura! Looking forward to my hat! And second I received a phone call hoping for a little inspiration for a gift to make. I suggested making some Tawashi scrubbers. These are my new quick project. Reusable sponges. Awesome! I somehow came across these while playing around on the internet one day, go figure.  I tried a few patterns and I ended up coming up with my own adaption of a pattern. I said I would post the pattern so some gifts could be made. By themselves or with a few dish cloths I think this would make a nice gift.




Thanks Anna! Hope this is fun and helpful!!!

Tawashi Scrubbie (adapted from a flower pattern in Crochet Today)
Round 1: Start with this awesome "Magic Adjustable Ring" Chain 1, work 14 single crochet into ring. join with slip stitch in first single crochet.
Round 2: Ch 1, single crochet in same single crochet as joining,*chain 3, skip one single crochet, single crochet in next single crochet. repeat from * 6 times more, join in first sc. There should be 7 chain 3 spaces.
Round 3: (flower petals) This is where I switch colors (join with slip stitch) Chain 1 in chain 3 space, *single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, treble crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, single crochet Repeat from * 6 more times more in remaining chain 3 spaces, join.7 petals.
Round 4: This might be confusing. Chain 1, with right side facing work behind petals. *single crochet around post of first single crochet on round 2, chain 4, repeat from * 6 more times. There should be 7 chain 4 spaces.
Round 5: Chain 1, in chain 4 space *single crochet, half double crochet, 5 double crochet, half double crochet, single crochet, repeat from* 7 times total.
Round 6: Chain 1, with right side facing work behing petals. *single crochet around post of first single crochet on Round 2, chain 3, repeat from* 6 times more. 7 chain 3 spaces.
Round 7: With wrong side facing repeat Round 3, without switching colors.
Fasten off and weave in all ends.
Braid 7" piece and tie as hanging ring.

Below you can kind of see the 3 petals.



There you have it. I used a bamboo/wool blend. It did felt, and it looks cool, still works the same. I used bamboo because it is anti-microbal/bacterial and the wool makes it abrasive. Traditional Tawashi 's ( look at "other tawashi's") are made from acrylic and some even put some type of silver ions in to make it bacteria resistant. Why not use bamboo with its natural anti-bacterial properties. I have found that 100% bamboo is pretty silky, so I went for a natural blend. I will probably make some with organic cotton too. 100% bamboo would work well for face tawashi's. I made a few but haven't used them yet. And I made them smaller. Only one petal round and done. Maybe bye bye cotton balls.


It really is an honor that my friends and family are enjoying and appreciating this blog.
Thank you.

No comments: