Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Night.....Pizza!

Friday night is pizza night around here. Tonight I made our Acorn Squash Pizza. YUMMY! Living in New York it is hard to top the pizza you can get at the pizza parlor. But, yes I said but, I think I have mastered a pizza recipe that we LOVE in our home.  I thought I would share. I will follow with a recipe but I feel like I have to say, try it before you judge. It sounds like an odd combination, but it is sooooo good together!! So good!




I originally got this idea off Food Network at some point, maybe Giada. But I have seen it other places too. Our adapted recipe...

Acorn Squash Pizza
1 Acorn Squash peeled and cut up into small pieces
1 onion, sliced thin
2 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbls Maple Syrup, or Agave nectar, honey, something to sweeten it up.
Salt and pepper
Toss together and lay out on a cookie sheet in a single layer for roasting. Roast in 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes. Or until soft and golden.

1 pizza dough rolled out
1 cup mozzerella cheese sprinkled on dough
1/2 to 1 cup blue cheese sprinkled on top of mozzerella
Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is golden.

Timing is tricky, you can do it all at the same time in the oven together *, it might just take a little longer.
Cook both until golden. Doing it together makes them ready at the same time, so you can enjoy it hot!

Arugula!!!!
You could toss it with a little Olive Oil if you like, I usually don't. Throw this on the top right before you serve it and ENJOY!!!

Once you do this a couple times it is easy. And Yummy! Did I already say that?


Okay, so Mae won't eat the other pizza so I make a small personal pizza for her. I end up freezing single portions of sauce because I have learned. Kyra does eat the other pizza, and tonight she didn't even eat the "regular" pizza. So most of us devour the Acorn Squash pizza!

*note: for those of you who don't know we have a double oven so making 2 pizzas is a lot easier. Don't get envious, they are original from the house and kind of dangerous (hot on the outside) but on a night like this they sure do come in handy! Don't know what I will do if we ever decide to redo our kitchen, I might have to get rid of the convenience :(

No comments: